Monday, January 5, 2009

American Express Blue Cash vs Bank of America BankAmericard

I always believe that if I can use one thing to do the job, there's no need for two. Despite knowing all the horror stories of some people's misfortune with their credit cards (and how evil they are), I use mine diligently. Why? Because it would be foolish not to. Today's credit cards (the good ones at least) always come with some sort of rewards, be it airline miles, free cash or credits, etc. One can easily save over $100 a year by just using credit cards for purchases. It's not a lot of money, but hey, you probably won't complain if it's handed to you for free without doing any work. Not to mention the extra protection you gain against defective items or seller frauds.

Of course with all the good benefits, there's always a catch. The catch is you should always, always pay off your credit card balance in full. This is the rule I follow. I set up an automatic payment for my credit card accounts to electronically transfer the balance from my bank account every month to pay off the amount I spent that month. I never miss one payment or late for as far as I can remember. So, for me I want the credit card with the best rewards and that's the card I will always use.

For some reason I have a decent credit rating so I was told and I have two of the best cash reward credit cards one can have: American Express Blue Cash and Bank of America BankAmericard. It's actually not entirely clear which one is better at the first look. As usual, if I can carry one card, I'd rather not carry two. So, I'm going to do a little bit of comparison here to see who has the honor to stay in my wallet.

Continued in another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment